According to the official term, push is the technology of information distribution from the server to the client. However, recently this word is most often used for notifications on mobile devices. Read below to learn more about mobile push notifications.
What are mobile push ads?
Mobile push notifications are small pop-ups with messages that appear at the top of the screen, on the lock screen.
The concept has become popular after Apple’s introduction of the Apple Push Notification Service (APNS) to send notifications to devices under iOS 3.
Be that as it may, on the basis of push notifications for mobile, a whole family of services and tools has grown from different companies:
- Apple after the addition of APNS for iPhones implemented them for both OS X and Safari.
- Google created Android Cloud to Device Messaging (C2DM) in the distant 2008, replacing it with Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) in 2012.
- Microsoft created MPNS.
But why exactly push technology is implemented in all mobile systems for delivering messages? The reason is simple: saving. After all, this technology is good because when you use it to get information, there is no need to constantly send requests from the application. And, accordingly, you do not need to keep it working in the background – it saves battery power and internet traffic.
The user receives in connection with this another advantage – the device’s RAM is not cluttered with unnecessary applications waiting for requests from the server.
It’s important to know the difference between things like push, push notifications, and notifications generated by local applications in the system. Push is a technology that is used to deliver information. Notifications are generated inside the system and they look different in different OSes.
Notification types in mobile OS
There are three types of push notifications in iOS:
- Audio – the user gets notified about the notification by an audio sound.
- Audio/Banners – the audio message and the so-called banner appears on the screen. The information that is transmitted with the first and second types of messages can be seen in the Notification Center.
- Badges – a number or special image appears next to the application icon.
In order to make sure the notifications sent from the website are effective and don’t irritate the user, it is recommended to use the push advertising network that will set the distribution of push ads in the most efficient way.