Don’t toss those seeds! Roasting your own seeds is so easy to do! I actually learned how to roast pumpkin seeds while earning my cooking badge in girl scouting…in the 3rd grade! I couldn’t believe how easy it was! Here is the recipe that started my obsession:
- 1 medium pumpkin
- 2 tbsp olive oil or canola oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
Optional: garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, or maybe cayenne pepper? Yum!)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Carve your pumpkin. Reserve those seeds in a colander.
- Rinse seeds well. Make sure you get all of that pulp and slimey stuff off! Spread out paper towels or kitchen towels and lay seeds out in a single layer. Let them dry out for a few hours. Or, blot them really well with paper towels.
- Once dry, put seeds in a medium bowl. Add olive oil, salt, and seasoning. Toss to coat.
- Spread seeds out in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes. Take seeds out and stir them around on pan. Put back into oven and bake another 5 minutes or until golden. Don’t let them burn!
- Remove from oven and let cool.