- 1 large bunch of collard greens, washed thoroughly*
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 medium shallots or ½ medium onion, chopped
- ½ tsp smoked paprika (sweet, not hot)
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
*You can also use a bag of Trader Joe’s cooking greens mix
- Remove stems and spines from collard greens. Cut into ½ inch ribbons. To make cutting easy, stack 2 to 3 leaves together and roll them up like a cigar. Then, using a sharp knife, cut into “ribbons”.
- In a 3 qt saucepan (or medium dutch oven), heat canola oil over medium heat. Add shallots and cook for about 2 minutes. Turn up heat to medium high.
- Add collards, paprika and chili flakes to pan. Stir well to coat. Cook for about 3-5 minutes. We want the collards to remain a vibrant green and somewhat crunchy.
- Remove from heat. Add garlic and salt to taste. Stir to coat evenly.