Another favorite cranberry-inspired side is my Cranberry Salsa. This is a great appetizer to serve throughout the holidays, since cranberries are so symbolic of the winter holiday season. Served alone or over goat cheese or cream cheese, it’s an easy thing to prepare that looks so pretty on your table.
- 3 cups of fresh cranberries or 1 12oz bag (soft or damaged berries removed)
- 4 green onions, minced (about ½ cup)
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seed and minced
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- sprigs of cilantro for garnish
*Serve with goat cheese or cream cheese and crackers
- Rinse and drain cranberries. Place them in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped, but not mushy. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add green onions, jalapeno, sugar, cilantro, ginger, and lemon juice. Stir combine. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to let flavors marinate. The longer it develops, the stronger the heat of the jalapeno and the sweeter the taste. The tartness of the cranberries will mellow.
You can serve this over goat cheese, cream cheese or by itself.
Makes about 2 cups. Each ¼ cup serving provides about 80 calories and about 9 grams of sugar.