I’m not really an oatmeal person. I’ll take cold cereal most mornings, just because it’s easy, it’s fast, and it’s a no brainer. But, sometimes I just want a hot breakfast. But, I also don’t want a mountain of pancakes or eggs smothered in cheese. Here are two ideas for make at home hot breakfasts that are quick, easy and super healthy. I make these for my kids from time to time and they love them!
- Olive oil spray
- 1 medium egg
- 1 whole grain tortilla or you can try a low carb, high fiber type
- Optional: 2 tbsp of shredded Mexican cheese
- Optional: cooked onion, bell peppers or any other veggies. I’ve even added jalapenos, but not for the kiddos!
Heat a 10-inch frying pan over medium-high heat. Spray with olive oil. Add egg to pan and pop yolk. While egg is cooking, press tortilla over egg. Lightly press tortilla with a spatula so that egg “spreads” around. Once egg is cooked, flip over tortilla. (Add optional stuff here). Fold tortilla in half and continue to cook for 30 seconds on each side. Remove from pan and cut into 4 triangles. Serve.
A Better Egg Sandwich
- Olive oil spray
- 1 pat butter or buttery spread
- 2 egg whites or ½ cup egg whites if from container
- 1 whole grain English muffin
- *add one slice of cheddar cheese or other cheese as desired. I’ve also added a scoop of cooked spinach to make a “Florentine” sandwich!
Toast English muffin. Butter the muffin. Spray a microwave safe dish (preferably a ramekin or glass pyrex ramekin) with olive oil. Add egg whites. Cover dish in plastic wrap. Heat on high for 45 seconds. Be careful when you remove from the microwave! It will be hot! Pop the cooked egg out of the dish, and make a sandwich.
I love that these are so quick to make and can be eaten on the go. Both of these recipes provide a high protein, high fiber way to start the day off right. And, with the first day of school right around the corner, we can all use a good breakfast to get off on the right foot!